Thames Valley Police told Sky News that a woman contacted the force two weeks ago with “new information” about comedian and conspiracy theorist Russell Brand, and that it was looking into her claims of “harassment and stalking”.
Thames Valley Police said “it would be inappropriate to comment on an ongoing investigation”, but confirmed that the allegations date back to 2018.
Thames Valley Police is the force in charge of Henley-On-Thames in Oxfordshire where Brand lives. He also owns a pub in the area.
The Metropolitan Police previously confirmed it had received a “number of allegations of sexual offences,” all of them non-recent and said to have occurred in both London and elsewhere in the country.
Meanwhile, the BBC has said it is looking into allegations from a woman who claims Brand exposed himself to her and then laughed about it afterwards on his Radio 2 show.
Brand denies the claims against him, saying his relationships were consensual. He has not been charged with anything.
It follows a joint investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches.
Issuing a statement last week, the Met Police confirmed that a fresh alleged victim has made an official report that they are now looking into, with the woman’s allegations pertaining to an alleged assault in 2003.
One of the allegations includes the claim that Brand raped a woman after she asked him to use a condom and he chose not to, without her consent. A screenshot of a text message has been verified by journalists as being sent by Brand. In the message, he apologises after she tells him ‘no means no’ and rages at him over the incident.
Channel 4 journalists also verified that the alleged victim visited a rape centre the following day.
As per their standard policy, the Met statement does not identify the accused person, but it is understood that the fresh accuser was prompted to make a report to them after the release of the Channel 4 Dispatches documentary about Russell Brand and articles in The Times and The Sunday Times.
A spokesperson for the Met said: “We are aware of reporting by The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches about allegations of sexual offences.
“On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003. Officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support.
“We first spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday, 16 September and have since made further approaches to The Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offence is aware of how to report this to the police.
“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.”
Seemingly responding to that message, more women are now confirmed to have come forward to make official complaints about Brand to the police.
A Met statement went on to add: “Following an investigation by Channel 4’s Dispatches and The Sunday Times, the Met has received a number of allegations of sexual offences in London.
“We have also received a number of allegations of sexual offences committed elsewhere in the country and will investigate these.
“The offences are all non-recent. Officers will be offering specialist support to all of the women who have made allegations.”